The CFO is an experienced, broad financial professional who can provide oversight for day to day financial operations, spend considerable time on Star of Hope growth initiatives and provide financial planning for the Mission’s future. This position will direct all fiscal functions of the Mission in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles issued by the Financial Accounting Standards Board, other regulatory and advisory organizations and in accordance with financial management principles and practices appropriate within the non-profit industry.
1. Is a member of the Executive Management Team and is responsible for strategic leadership and operational management. Also, ensures that the “Christ-centered” Mission Statement and Core Values of excellence, integrity, and life change are communicated and implemented throughout Finance and Workforce Development.
2. Plan, develop, organize, and manage the organization's fiscal functions and financial performance.
3. Oversees the finance group in the timely preparation and analysis of budgets, financial statements, reports and financial trends to assist the CEO/President and the Board and other senior executives in performing their responsibilities.
4. Manage Star of Hope’s Workforce Development programs and efforts.
5. Participate in the execution of the Mission's plans and programs as a member of the Executive Staff, including long range planning efforts.
6. Maintain a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism which includes minimum cash thresholds to meet operating needs.
7. Oversee the preparation and filing of all financial and other reporting to agencies such as United Way, ECFA, Charity Navigator, the annual audit in coordination with the Mission’s selected audit firm, and the Federal tax return.
8. Determine and implement best practices to optimize the organization’s efficiency and financial reporting, and provide technical financial advice and knowledge to others within the financial discipline.
9. Continually improve the budgeting process through education of department managers on financial issues impacting their budgets.
10. Provide strategic financial input and leadership on issues affecting the organization of an operational, benefits and/or investment nature.
11. Optimize the handling of bank and deposit relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to maintain an appropriate cash position.
12. Review and advise from a financial perspective on any contracts into which the Mission may enter.
Other Job Responsibilities:
1. Participate in Ministry and prayer activities, as appropriate. 2. Other duties as assigned.
Education, Skills & Experience:
An experienced leader and financial executive with industry and non-profit experience. An executive with a Bachelor’s degree, preferably with a major in Accounting or Finance. A CPA is highly desired, or equivalent work experience. Demonstrated ability to manage accounting, financial reporting and asset management functions for an organization with revenues of $25 to $75 million.
An energetic, forward-thinking and creative individual with high ethical standards and an appropriate professional image. A strategic thinker with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment and strong operational focus. A well organized and self-directed individual who is a team player. An intelligent and articulate individual who can relate to people at all levels of an organization and possesses excellent communication skills. A good educator who is trustworthy and willing to share information and serve as a mentor. An excellent negotiator who is experienced in contracts. A decisive individual who possesses a "big picture" perspective and is also well versed in systems and processes for financial management.
Strong written and oral communication skills are required. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on complex topics to the Board.
Able to work respectfully, professionally and in a Christ-like manner with everyone, able to maintain required client/staff boundaries and possess a willingness to serve the Lord in a ministry that deals with homeless men, women and children.
About Star of Hope Mission
Star of Hope is a Christ-centered community dedicated to meeting the needs of homeless men, women, and their children. Positive life changes are encouraged through structured programs which focus on spiritual growth, education, employment, life management and recovery from substance abuse.